Tuesday, 23 October 2012

“Writer Shaay-ter"


If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write something worth reading or do things worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin 

There are different rules for thinking, reading and talking. And writing blends all of them into one. Today I am going to write like I am on Oprah’s show. I will inspire you to an extent that as soon as you are done reading this blog, you will be an absolute enthu cutlet and write on how amazing I am. I am not a fancy word player writer, nor would I call myself creative, all I have is sarcasm to make me look good, which is by the way just one of the few things that will help you get somewhere if you want to make a career out of writing. I want to. I really do. But I do not think a career in writing is something that happens overnight. It will take me years to learn a fancy word like “proliferation” or “mitigation” or “transcendent”, but I will always keep patience and try. Try because that is how people learn. Try because that is how you let the soul in you know you are not a quitter. Practice because that will make me perfect some day. The day when you finish writing a story or an article on a Word document and manage to get absolute zero spelling checks, that is when you know you are almost there. You just need to drag yourself to the finish line.

I have met a lot of people in life who are cynical and absolute Grammar Nazis in their views when it comes to a person who have relatively weak vocabulary. Though I secretly admire their knowledge about the subject, I strictly dislike the kind of negativity and discomfort they can put through in the minds of those who are in a stage where only motivation can pump them up. I consider myself a grammar Nazi too, but all this only when it comes to a point where I can criticize myself and accept my mistakes as well. I make mistakes too, I might have added an extra O in Bob or an extra Z in LOL, but that is something I learn from. I wish people use their knowledge to teach the less fortunate (Generally speaking). Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, if a person is a bad writer he is probably a better speaker and vice-versa. 

Underestimating a person’s ability to succeed at something is not cool. Not cool at all. That does not show how superior you are, all it shows how shallow your brains can get to reach to a point where you get satisfied after making another person feel bad about something they can actually make a career of. Moving ahead from the cynics; anybody, be it big, small, smart, hot, cute, bitchy, who have even the slightest of urge or feeling to write something, irrespective of how good or bad they write, SHOULD WRITE. Not because I love to write, but because I believe writing is the best way to vent out your frustration. I think it’s the best way to put forth your views without sounding rude, you can abuse whomsoever you want to in the most subtle of manner. Observing people around you and writing about them can help you express your perception better.

Writing is not rocket science, to write one need not keep googling for synonyms. It is okay to use words which normal people understand, it is okay if you use causal language, and it is okay if you only write on humour. You need not write to impress anybody, because at the end of the day, people will never appreciate what you write because they can never understand what you feel. If they do, don’t let it reach your head, because every writer improves and becomes better the moment he starts writing his next article. My purpose of writing this motivational blog was because I hardly receive any, and I know how it feels to look at your work and think “I suck”, but trust me, challenging your ability can take you levels. Believe in your work and the talent you posses. Because you fail only when you stop writing! Write till the ink gives up on you, and when it does, buy a new pen!

No comments:

Post a Comment